Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Irrationality of Rationality - Day 2 - Angelo Reyes

Day 2 was not much different than day 1. I awoke at ten a.m., again meditated, then a shower. I worked at eleven. On the way to work, I accidentally turned on the radio; I had forgotten about this project for a split second. As soon as I heard a local dj say something about a bar, the memory of this project came back. I slapped myself and turned it off. I sat in silence, once more, pondering the past and the future to come. There's so much to think about when you're not distracted by media. Just thinking about a problem eventually leads to a solution. I solved a couple of things just on the way to work.
Being at work and actually working, and only working, is kind of new to me. Not that I’m a slacker or anything, not always, I just get distracted easily. I guess it’s a byproduct of growing up in a media-engorged society. There is so much distraction in media it’s quite disturbing. I had somewhat of a revelation last night. I was full of insight and clarity and I came to the conclusion that life is all about survival, and to try and make it mean anymore is basically somewhat of a waste of time. The only test that actually matters is that of survival. Nowadays, people are focused so much on convenience and luxury, hoping to extend their life here on earth. Personally, I’m not too much concerned with making my life easy. Life is more fun the harder it is. Just my opinion, but I digress. Work was work, plain and simple. No television, no phone.
I got out of work at eleven and played a bit of soccer with a friend in the parking lot. He put on music and I told him about my project. He turned it off, respectfully, which i was actually glad he did because I’m not too fond of the country music. After thirty minutes of intense soccer-mania, I headed home, drenched in sweat. I decided to exercise more and stop smoking so many damn cigarettes.
At home, I ate a nice and scrumptious meal consisting of tamales and milk. Yum. I usually sit in front of the television when I eat a meal, but last night I sat the kitchen table and just ate. That’s it. That’s all i did. Eat.I noticed that i enjoyed the meal a great deal more than i usually would’ve. I headed off to bed around 1, after a quick shower and another session of meditation. I laid there, surprised at just how much more simple life is when there is no media involved in it. This has been some project.

No comments:

Post a Comment