Sunday, May 3, 2009

May 3

Again I didn't have to be up by a certain time so that was good since I'm still not using my alarm! I was really tired because it took me about an extra hour to fall asleep since I didn't have any sound to put me asleep. I eventually grabbed a fan and turned it on hoping that the sound of the fan would put me to sleep. It helped a little. I woke up around noon today, and I was dreading today I had a three hour drive home, which I didn't know if I would survive without any music or phone.
The drive felt so incredibly long, and the fact that I was tired didn't help at all. There was no music, and I did have my phone on just in case of emergency but I didn't talk or text on it at all. The drive home is very boring because it's just a bunch of small towns and country road. Usually it's not that bad because I use the radio to keep me awake and entertained, but without it the whole trip just dragged on. I was so happy when I made it back home because at least there were people to keep me entertained! Then I went to the pool because it was such a gorgeous day, and without media there is nothing to do in my apartment. I found this to be a plus because I rarely do any outside activities! It was very refreshing to just enjoy the outdoors.
Overall I found this experience to be an eye opener. I learned that I let the media dictate a big chunk of my day, and that I depend on it a lot! Cutting music out of my day dramatically changed almost everything I did from waking up, getting ready, driving, even sleeping. And I was constantly fighting the urge to check my phone. I don't think that I could stand living like this everyday, but it was nice to try it for a weekend.
Dee Parks

No comments:

Post a Comment