Sunday, May 3, 2009

Linda Estrada day 1

Today is Friday, my schedule for today is work, have lunch with an old friend, and relax right after that.

When I woke up, I started to get dressed for work. I usually watch the local news around this time while getting ready, but went without the television or music for this morning. It was definetely too quite and it almost scared me a bit just cause I was not used still noise while getting ready. After just a little while I realized I was running late for work. I usually use the news channel on to tell me what time it is in the morning so just this little incident made me realize how reliant I am on television for my day to get started. At work I tried to get through the day as fast as I could but it dragged on which is unusal for a Friday. It could have been because I did not listen to music or go online on the short 30 minute break I had at around 11:30 A.M. so even my break took forever to get through. I was almost hoping for time to go by faster so that I could get back to work, I dont think I have ever felt that way. After getting out of work at about 2:30 P.M. I met up with an old friend and had coffee at a local cafe. We mostly talked about music and movies, I informed her of this media deprivation project and she thought that I was crazy for actually trying to go through with it. She was even trying to tempt me out of going through with the project by inviting me to a movie at the Bijou movie theater that I have really been wanting to see. I sadly declinded but felt better about it afterwards. I went home, took a well needed nap, then awoke and realized I was already having withdrawl symptoms from not being able to watch TV or listen to my ipod. I tried to keep busy and waste time by working on other school projects but got brain fried. A few of my friends came over and we headed over to their new apartment, my boyfriend or I are usually in charge of bring the tunes along but I left mine at home and tried to avoid listening to any music. When we got therer we talked about old memories and discussed what we are planning to do in the next couple of weeks. I am not sure how, but without my saying so, we avoided any media like internet, movies and even music which is very rare in our situation. When I arrived home I thought back on the day and realized how much media is a part of my life. I definetly missed it, but am hoping that maybe the next couple of days will allow me to feel freer and not so reliant on media.

No comments:

Post a Comment