Saturday, May 2, 2009

Arseny Day 1

So thursday night, knowing the black out was to begin the following morning, i set my alarm clock to go off a half hour later than usual. my days always start with the news on tv and a radio on in the shower so that's why i decided to wake up later just to keep my mind off of being media deprived. when i'm driving to work i always have my radio on with some talk show or music, and friday drive was nice and quiet. not too bad yet because i had a killer headache from going out the night before. as i drove toward downtown, the traffic on I10 was really backed up and i realized there was no way of knowing the reason for it because i didn't get the update on TV or radio. twenty minutes later i saw that a little yellow car upside down on its roof was the reason i was almost a half hour late to work. that's when i realized that the radio traffic news are so helpful because if knew there was a possibility i'd be late, i would've left earlier. or at least called my boss.
easy day at work, i'm off by 11:30. i get home, have a ridiculously quiet lunch and start trying to find things to do instead of watching iron man like i was planning on. the grass needed to be cut so i fired up the mower. i always do stuff outside with my iPod on but this time all i had to entertain me was the engine sound. when i got finished, i realized it's only been an hour so i went and mowed the neighbor's yard as well just to kill more time. let me just say that while i was waiting on my friends to get off work and girlfriend to get out of class to kick off the wonderful friday night, everything around the house was done. finally. but in complete silence. the TV and radio are a big part of my life so i never thought that doing what i'm doing without them in the background would be so dull. the dishes got washed, laundry got done, floors vacumed, and it wasn't even 5 o'clock yet. that's when i almost decided to pick up quilting but thank god my friend called about a tubing trip down guadalupe (voicemail was for some reason marked urgent).
finally, about 8pm i got my break when i went to Eli Young Band concert at floores. let me tell you, after just one day of not being able to listen to music, it had to have been the sweetest sound my ears have ever heard. it's always the little things we take for granted.
earlier this week i was planning on finding a tool box for my truck, but how in the world can you find a good used one without the internet?? now, going to brace myself for day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment