Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day Uno

Wow!  This is an experience that I never thought would be as hard as it sounds.  I would never imagine the emptiness that I felt on this media deprived day.  It first started with me coming home from work at 6:30am because I work overnight.  I had a brief thought before I turned on my radio in my car that reminded me of this project.  So I went along with it and rode home for 30 minutes without the radio.  This was the worst experience of deprivation.  Every 5 minutes I wanted to turn the music on, but I kept trying to hold myself back from giving in.  I started to realize that the music that I listened to filled up a certain silence that can make the world feel as if it were moving slower.  This is how I felt throughout the whole day.  It was like an extreme lent participation that took away many aspects of my life.

As I sat around my house with nothing to do, I felt more lazy and bored than ever.  It’s funny that with such a hectic schedule and with the forms of media in my life that time goes by fast; however, when there’s no media to fill in the gaps of entertainment, time ceased to never go forward.  I longed for something to do or someone to talk to.  But there was no one home and all my friends were in school.  So when I was faced with such adversity as this, I found it best to go to sleep and try to kill some hours like that.  This was a constant throughout the day, which was pretty boring.  I found myself catching up on all my sleep that I have been missing out on from the whole semester.

With all this non media, however, I was able to accomplish things that I had more time for.  I had urges to clean my room, wash my car, and do some erands that I have been postponing for years.  This media deprivation allowed me to have more time to do more things in my life.  But, there's a downfall to that, which is running out of things to do.  I hope that I can occupy myself for day two without any media.  

1 comment:

  1. What kind of errands did you run. Chris? You said it was stuff you'd been postponing for years? I hope it wasn't anything too important LOL.

    ReplyDelete