Saturday, May 2, 2009

Day 1 - Alina Martinez

So it's day one of this media deprivation stuff. I'm finding that this is isn't taking a complete major toll on my lifestyle in some areas, but in some it is. Because of the fact that i've never really been a big phone fanatic, it's not to hard surviving without it. For me, it's more about having my phone there right next to me and with me at all times. It's not about actually using it. But i guess that's more of an OCD issue than anything else. I hate using the phone to talk and have conversations over nothing. It truly bores me. So put my phone in my drawer when i got home and didn't look at it til the next morning. For someone who doesn't use their phone too often, i had 28 missed calls..amusing. Thank goodness i had an 8 hour shift at work today so i didn't worry much about my media deprivation at that point. I was out of work by 4 pm however and usually i'd go home and crash out with the tv on..but i couldn't. That was probably the hardest thing for me. I don't enjoy watching television much, but i do very much NEED it to fall asleep. It's this other little OCD thing i have going. So it took me about an extra 3 hours to fall asleep at night. It made me realize that i needed my tv and cell phone there more for security reasons rather than their actual purpose. For a second there i was like..umm am i mental? I was telling brittany in class the other day how i had really been wanting to online shop for some bathing suits i saw. Yea..that was a no go. So i got out of work and went shopping at the mall..big mistake. I ended up buying some bathing suits i liked..along with two pairs of shoes and a necklace. This would not have occured with online shopping! I then proceeded to go have dinner to keep myself entertained and at the retaurant, it was the first time i had heard music all day. I almost felt like i went to that restaurant on purpose just so i'd be able to have some melody to my ears. My ipod is broken and i have no music in my iphone so the radio kinda always gets me through my days with my busy schedule. Well dinner turned out to be a big no-no as well because i ended up spending $25 at stonewerks (drinks not included). I found the media deprivation in my life to cause a big dent in my wallet. :\

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like we all might be OCD when it comes to mass media surrounding us, especially our cell phones.

    So do you always prefer to shop online as opposed to shopping at a store or mall? Or is it something you do every now and then?

    ReplyDelete