Saturday, May 2, 2009

Freedumb - Day 1 - Angelo Reyes

Firstly, I must say that life with no media influence sounds quite boring at first, though after going through an entire day with no media whatsoever, it must be said that it can be quite fulfilling. I had expectations of a boring and dreadful experience, filled with daydreaming and silence, I realized yesterday that they were completely wrong.
My day started off as usual. I awoke at ten a.m., meditated for half an hour, took a refreshing shower, and headed off to work. My first media encounter of the day usually occurs wheni first leave my house. I blast music and sing along, though yesterday, I did no such thing. I cruised with my windows down and just thought about everything that’s going on in my life. I realized that the music was basically just a distraction, keeping me from doing so.
At work, there’s a television which usually has either sports or movies playing. I made it a point to not care what was on, so I wasted no time watching it. I found myself doing actual work to keep me busy instead of wasting time watching the tube. I also tend to surf the web on my phone, or watch youtube videos, which I also did neither of. I paid more attention to my job more than I think I ever had. Even my boss noticed the effort. Of course, after explaining why, he laughed and stated that he knew it was too good to be true.
I worked from twelve noon till eleven at night, and I had a curfew of twelve midnight, so buy the time I got out, I had no choice but to go home. Again on the ride home I sat in silence, focused intently on depriving myself of distraction. I came to realize the truth in the age-old saying “silence is golden”.
At home, I found myself getting a little bit bored, so I played with my cat and taught him how to give me five. I realized that I hadn’t been spending much time with him, due to playing video games, reading, or watching movies. I made him a promise that I’d teach him how to say hello, which if some of you think is impossible, is actually possible, just maybe not probable, and it doesn’t sound as articulated as we humans make it. It sounds more like an Asian person choking on a hot wing say hello, Anyways, after that I meditated again for half an hour and went to bed.

2 comments:

  1. LOL I bet your boss is hoping you're going to make this Media Deprivation a habit from now on.

    I'm glad to hear your cat got some TLC because of it, though. Sounds like you've been depriving him a little in that department. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. angelo! are you going to teach smelly cat how to say hello?!

    ReplyDelete