Saturday, May 2, 2009

Schiber (Day 1)

I have mixed feelings for this assignment because overall mediawise I'm behind the power curve. If this was a year ago I would've skipped a few shows and accomplished this no sweat. I however have finally started using my ipod and cell phone more and more frequently over the last year so this could be differcult. My family also wanted to see X-men orgins as a sort of family occasion which is becoming less and less frequent due to my sister getting a job and my own job. Add in that my father works and my mother is a volenteer at the local elementry school and its hard to get us all together for a few days. These listed obstacles could make this slightly more differcult than I initially expected.

Day 1- Morning

I woke up at 9am already feeling beat, not by media depervation though so much as the sleep depervation I normally find myself with. Being an avid insomiac I spent most of the night talking to friends in a local game store of which one of them works. (Gamelot on Huebner/Bandera) The reason for this bright and early excersion is so I can go to the local clinic for my weekly allergy shots. These are the improve my condition with alergies which was earlier to in the year rather akin to the flu only 24/7 until the mountain cedar decided to stop leaving so much pollen everywhere. The waiting room had on its usual show (rachael ray and the view) which I ignored enthusiastically. (Well less enthusiastic, I pretty much fell asleep waiting for the doctor) Everything was routine and I picked up a smoothie for breakfast at the smoothie King on the way home. Drinking this I decided the five hours of sleep wasn't quite enough and fell asleep at 11 am.

For the second time in the day I woke up (2pm) and decided to go jogging/running/hiking (you need all three) down at the local park. (Define park, I basically find the limestone river bed in leon valley and wander around in the area.) This is usually where my ipod becomes involved but not today and I wandered through the park without any form of music. This meant that I wasn't as deep in thought and I went a bit slower than normal listening to the birds and the local wildlife. There are alot of deer in the park and I heard three while spotting one but an odd sight was to await me. I found a literal writhing mass of snakes each a good lenth of 3+ feet ahead of me in the river bed. I don't know if it was just mating season or a King vs another snake (do king snakes even live in this part of the world) as I kept my distance as I really didn't want to bother them. I'm fine with snakes for the most part but being fine with them includes knowing that if they're moving quickly and erratically the last thing you want to be in next to them. I pulled out my phone to take a picture but found it was dead. Helped for the class I guess but a nice picture would've been worth the 2 second or so infringement on the assignment. The rest of the hike was uneventful and without music I grew board and left. Plus I was running late for my schedule.

The next task on my agenda was picking up the paycheck at work and cashing it at the bank. Both of these were uneventful as I had a twenty minute conversation with some coworkers. (Adam and Adrian, they should be in another media class also taught by Mr. Lopez) and from there I went to the bank to get cash (I don't use any form of ATM or credit). After the bank I went to a hobby card shop called cards and crafts. I play Magic the Gathering and they had some cards for me to pick up for the game. This takes me until about five o' clock and I go to meet an old friend at his apartment. From there I go to Gamelot to meet up with the rest of my friends and we play cards for the better part of the evening. At midnight we each go our seperate ways and I go with my friend to eat and return to his apartment. Its now 4:15am and I'm five minitues from getting in my car and meeting with yet another group of friends to head up to dallas for the day. More on that for the Day 2 report, I'm sure a four and a half hour drive without music will be mind numbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment