Monday, May 4, 2009

Day 3 - Alina Martinez

Finally! The end has arrived! Actually this media deprivation stuff hasn’t been that bad. I figure, if we survived through 3 days..then we can do it for a lot longer. So today I kept myself pretty busy too. I was at work from 7 am to 4pm. Which scared me a little; I was afraid I wasn’t gonna make it make it in time to write my blog! So work went smoothly without my cell phone around. This time I actually left it at home. I think this project has actually helped me a little as far as my OCD goes. I don’t really need my cell phone there al the time like I thought I did. I started to not notice that it wasn’t even there for a while. On the other hand however, since I have an iphone, there was about a billion other things I wanted to use it for. I missed using my yellow pages app to look for stuff I needed to find asap during work. And sometimes work can get pretty slow and I needed to watch youtube videos to get me through the day. In that aspect, I did kinda miss my cell phone. Like today, I really needed to find the happy hour time for sushi zushi..but I couldn’t. That ended badly as well cause we ended up paying full price for sushi at kona! So while I was slightly entertained at work, I had nothing to keep me going at home. I got home and found myself almost walking in circles with nothing to do. My phone was in a drawer, my laptop was off, my tv was off, and my stereo was too. After I finished my blog for that day, I attempted to take a nap without my tv on. As usual, I ended up staying up and thinking. This happens to me in the car too. I guess it does to everyone. I just think about everything. I start to analyze everything going on in my life. There never goes well so I just got up and smoked probably one too many cigarettes outside. The sunset was out so it was really quite beautiful outside. Luckily a little after that it was time for dinner with some co-workers..again. So I was off to entertain myself for another night with my dented wallet..haha! Without all this media in my life..it made me realize a few things about myself. I definitely need noise to fall asleep, I could not survive longer than these 3 days without music, and I definitely do not need my phone. Without all this media being a part of my daily life, I started to notice a few of the little things I stopped doing. Instead of going home to watch tv and fall asleep like usual, I started going out to have dinner or drinks with friends and co-workers. I had almost forgotten how great a simple dinner night with great people was like. It may have cost me a big more but it was well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment