Monday, May 4, 2009

Day Three - Christina Gomez

Oh lordy…the last day has finally come to pass. I must say that I haven’t exactly been counting down the days, but my mindset knew the second I woke up this morning I could text my friends again.

Saturday, I completely skipped out on blogging to go paintballing, then to a skating rink, which I haven’t been to since middle school, and finally a beach themed birthday party. Of course I chose to forego wearing a swimsuit and wore something more subtle like clothing. My entire day was quite entertaining, since I had left my phone at home. During that time, fond memories of what life was like before having a cell phone glued to my fingers were coming back to me.

Sunday, I slipped and listened to the radio on my way to work, but it took me until I was already at work to realize I was listening to the radio! Afterwards, I felt like I had to confess to a priest. Not more than 10 minutes later, I blew it off. Seeing as how it was 7 in the morning and I don’t function properly, or care at all for that matter, that early in the morning.

Three o’ clock came around and I bolted out of work faster than you can imagine. I returned to my car and reluctantly turned off my radio and listened to the sound of rushing air from my A/C and was left, once again, with the pointless thoughts going through my mind. “I wonder why the plural form of moose isn’t meese. Why is it that men have nipples if they have no purpose for them? Wow, that’s a nice Porsche.”

Along the way, I went to James’ and baked a pineapple upside down cake while he watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I, of course, just stuck with the strategy that every good parent tells children when they cuss around them, “earmuffs.”

By this time, I was already starting miss all kinds of media. I can’t really pass my time by playing go-fish, baking, working, and school alone. I was beginning to wonder how people managed to make it out of their generations without Internet, high definition cable, and DVR.

But aside from all the stressing the lack of media caused, I found myself stressing less about little things. This past weekend, I have gotten more sleep than I have any other weekend for the past year. I ended up finding more energy to go out and do some pretty fun things. Rather than feeling cut off from the world without a phone or Facebook, I felt more personal connections when I went to parties and hung out with friends. It’s nice to remember that I’m not socially awkward without media and that says a lot coming from a comm. major!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment