Monday, May 4, 2009

Melissa Mancilla-post 3

Finally! This project has come to an end. I have my phone on my person and I’m constantly checking it like an anxious schizoid once again. Sunday wasn’t all that bad after all. I ended up going to the park with my friends and exploring different trails I’ve never gone down before. Even though it was ungodly humid, we still covered a lot of ground and got to see a lot of wildlife. We came across a porcupine, the occasional deer, and an array of different birds, each with their unique song, and not a ringtone to be heard. It was rejuvenating as well as liberating.

By the time I got home (around 9 p.m.), I didn’t even realize I had gone a whole car ride without music. The thought of turning on the T.V. never even crossed my mind as I sat down at the computer to slave over an essay. Usually I’d have my iTunes playlist going as well as the T.V. blasting whenever I do anything, but without them I realized how distracting they really are. I got done with my essay twice as fast as I would have with the T.V. on. I ended up turning on the news anyway just to see if swine flu had killed half the nation while I was under my rock. Anderson Cooper mentioned how swine flu is now a pandemic and he estimates it will spread to 50 states very soon. Great. I figured that’s all I needed to know and turned the T.V. off almost as soon as I turned it on.

Maybe I’ve just been stressed over finals so much that they’re dominating my thoughts, or I actually let go of the idea of media dominating my thoughts for a brief moment. I suppose this media deprivation exercise has made me a little bit more focused, but that doesn’t mean I’m willing to give it up altogether. I realized that if I can eliminate certain luxuries such as the T.V. or surfing the net while doing homework I probably would never have to procrastinate again, as far as school work goes at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment