Monday, May 4, 2009

LaQuinta Day 3

The last of the experiment. I first want to say that it was very enlightening for me to see just how almost every aspect of our daily lives involves media. Even though I don't need it, I missed it. Yesterday morning, I woke up late trying to help the time go by. I did my morning routine and began to clean and organize my house. Woke up my children so we could go to Sunday Service. Left service went to Napa Auto Parts to buy fuses and tail light bulbs, then went to get Lunch at McDonald's. I went home change some of my fuses and replace the burned out tail lights. I went inside and took a nap. When i woke up i was wondering what time was it and was the deprivation over. I left my bedroom because my husband was watching TV. I did have to use the computer to write an important letter and to catch up with my speech class. This morning when i woke up the TV was on, the kids were playing music, I was on the computer checking emails( found elementary classmates on face book) That was interesting. I went to my sister-in-laws to get out of the house and pick up my curio cabinet. Just trying to keep doing something other than TV. I guess through out it all my biggest challenge was to do with out TV. As i stated before, I don't talk or text on the phone much. I am mainly on the computer to do work and/or take care of financial business . I rarely get on the computer for social pleasure unless I am prompted by and email response. I really can appreciate how far we have come in the technology world. We have a variety of choices to communicate. We have so many ways to stay informed. This is why, even for me, a person who still can't figure out how to use bit torrent, just learning how to use face book and some other media venues, misses the small amount of media that i do know. As i grow to learn more, I experiment more. I took on this project thinking that it would have been easy. My family supported me, but was crying not to do it with me, so I let them off the hook. I tried to think of it like a punishment, being locked up with no privileges. I think i ate more to take up the in between space. I like having the choice of choosing what media I want and when i want it. You know the old saying "you don't miss what you have until it's gone'". I know i missed the TV the most,because i like to watch movies. Fortunately for me, I was able to record the programs I missed. I did spend a lot of time taking care of things that you put off because of watching TV. Now it is time to get caught up on doing absolutely nothing but watching TV.
P.S. I did want to mention i woke up about 1am and watch a movie on demand.(Penelope)Just had to get 1 in. I think I was having withdrawals and needed a fix to rest easy that last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment